The Australian Embassy in Riyadh is not currently accepting in person appointments due to the COVID-19 crisis in Saudi Arabia. If you have an urgent need for a passport, you may apply for a limited validity passport by mail. Limited validity passports are valid for up to one year.
What to include with your application
- A fully completed passport application form
- Two compliant passport photos
- Photocopy of your most recent passport (photo page only)
- B11 General Declaration stating that because of the COVID-19 crisis in Saudi Arabia, the Australian Embassy in Riyadh is not accepting in person appointments, and the reason why you need a limited validity passport
- Credit card authorisation form for payment
- If you have confirmed travel within three weeks, copies of your airline tickets (or other evidence of your travel)
- For clients submitting the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (e.g. child applications, first time applicants, replacement of lost/stolen passports), you should also include photocopies of all required documents including: proof of citizenship, birth certificates, name change documents (including for parents), and an ID combination (including proof of address). Please make sure you include a copy of both the front and back of each document.
Where to send your application
Applications should be sent via courier to the attention of the Passport Office, Embassy of Australia, Abdullah Alsahmi St, As Safarat, Riyadh 11693, Saudi Arabia.
Once we receive your application, we will email you with the time and date of your interview which will be conducted via a video conferencing platform (for example Skype, Webex, Zoom). Generally, this will be on the Monday or Thursday after we receive your application.
Fees for temporary passports (valid as of July 2020)
CLIENTS WITH SCHEDULED TRAVEL WITHIN 3 WEEKS
An emergency passport will generally be issued within 2 working days of receiving a complete application.
- emergency passport overseas - $187
CLIENTS WITH TRAVEL AFTER 3 WEEKS
A limited validity passport valid for one year will be issued in up to 3 weeks from the time of the interview with applicant (or one of the parents if applicant is under 18 years old) which will be conducted over the phone.
10-year passport for persons aged 16 and over - $298
5-year passport for children under 16 years and persons aged 75 and over - $150
Note: Your application fee covers the cost of your limited validity passport plus a replacement passport, provided you apply for the replacement passport in person before your limited validity passport expires, using the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (not the renewal form) in person.
Adults may lodge at any location worldwide. For child applications, the application must be lodge at an office in the country where the child is physically located.
You must provide Australian-standard photographs. Click here for a list of photographers who are generally able to provide acceptable photographs.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to apply if I'm not planning to travel?
No. If you do not plan to travel and/or do not need a passport right now, you can wait until the COVID-19 situation stabilises and appointments at the Embassy resume.
What happens if my passport expires during this time?
There is no penalty for letting your passport expire. Renewing a passport is a personal choice, but you will not be able to leave the country without a valid passport. If you do plan to travel or need a passport for another reason (for example to renew your iqama or visa), we encourage you to follow the steps above to apply now.
What if I need to travel unexpectedly due to an emergency?
Please apply for an emergency passport as soon as possible by following the instructions above.We can generally issue an emergency passport within 2 working days. If you need to travel more quickly, please call our office to discuss your situation.
Do I have to replace my temporary/emergency passport in person?
Yes. If you are issued a temporary or emergency passport, you must lodge a new application using the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (not the renewal form) in person at any Australian Embassy/Consulate worldwide. For child applications, the application must be lodged at an Australian Embassy/Consulate in the country where the child is physically located.
Do I need six months validity on my passport to travel?
It depends. If you are travelling to Australia, your Australian passport must be valid (not expired) on the date you arrive in Australia. If your passport expires while you are in Australia, you can apply for a new passport in Australia.
If you are travelling to a different country, you can review the entry/exit requirements for your intended destination on Australia's Smartraveller site.