Embassy of Australia
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Also accredited to the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Sultanate of Oman, and the Republic of Yemen

Frequently Asked Questions


1. How do I apply for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship?

We encourage eligible applicants to submit their application online using ImmiAccount 

Certain paper applications may also be lodged in person at an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in the Gulf region.


2. What is an ImmiAccount?

An ImmiAccount is the 'front door' to all online Australian visa and Australian citizenship services. 

You can use ImmiAccount to:

  •  apply for a visa or citizenship online
  • check the progress of your online application
  • upload additional documents to support your application
  • update your passport, email, or address details.

For more information about the services available or to create your own account, go to ImmiAccount 


3. What is an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)?

The Department of Home Affairs has an agreement with our service delivery partner – VFS Global – to provide a range of Australian visa and Australian citizenship application lodgement services, at Australian Visa Application Centres (AVACs).

AVACs are located in cities throughout the Gulf region, including Riyadh, Jeddah, Al Khobar and Manama. To locate your nearest AVAC, click here

The services offered at an Australian Visa Application Centre include:

  • application fee payment
  • collection of biometrics (personal identifiers)
  • tracking of visa and citizenship applications
  • assistance with general enquiries about visa and citizenship applications.  

Note: VFS Global is a commercial company working in partnership with the Commonwealth of Australia. Staff at AVACs are not DHA employees. They do not have the authority to assess visa and citizenship applications. Applications submitted at an AVAC are assessed and processed by DHA staff.


4. Do I need a visa to travel to and enter Australia?

Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia.


5. Do I need a visa to transit through Australia?

If you plan to travel through Australia to another country, you will need an Australian Transit visa (Subclass 771). This visa lets you and your dependent children transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours.

If you are going to stay in Australia for more than 72 hours, you will not be eligible for a Transit Visa and you will need to apply for another type of visa.

If you hold a confirmed onward booking to depart Australia within 8 hours of your arrival and you are an eligible traveller who meets the criteria, you may be eligible for Transit Without a Visa (TWOV) - see Do I need a visa to transit through Australia?

If you are not eligible for TWOV, you will need a Transit visa to travel via Australia to another country.


6. Which Australian visa should I apply for?

There are a range of visa options for people who want to visit, work, study, or live in Australia. We endeavour to help you find relevant visa information, but we will not provide you with advice on your visa eligibility.

To see which Australian visa might suit you, use our Visa Finder


7. How much will my application for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship cost?
For a list of fees for Australian visa applications, see our current visa pricing table. You may also get an estimate of your visa application by using our visa Pricing Estimator

For Australian citizenship application fees, click here


8. What is biometrics data collection?

As part of your Australian visa application, in most cases you will need to attend an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) to provide your fingerprints and a photograph, known as biometrics.

To see how biomtrics are collected, watch our online video about biometrics collection at Australian visa application centres  


9. If I apply for my Australian visa online, do I need to provide my biometrics?

If you lodge your application online, DIBP will advise you in writing if you need to provide your biometrics. For more information, including where to provide your biometrics, see the list of countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics programme

Note: Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, and New Zealand citizens are excluded from biometrics collection.


10. How long will it take to process my application for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship?

Our global visa and citizenship processing times are now available online. Processing times will be updated monthly and and will be available for most visa and citizenship application types.

Please note: actual processing times can vary due to a range of factors including but not limited to:

  • whether you have provided all necessary supporting document when you lodge your application;
  • how accurately and how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information;
  • how long it takes to complete any required checks on information you have provided to support your application
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external parties, particularly in relation to health, character and national security requirements.

For a detailed list of processing times, see our global visa and citizenship processing times


11. Should I provide originals or certified copies of my documents to support my application for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship?

Police clearances must be originals if sent by mail. A police clearance uploaded to ImmiAccount or sent by email should be a scanned colour copy. All other documents, such as identity documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates can be copies. They do not need to be certified unless specifically requested by the Department of Home Affairs.

After submitting your visa application online, you can attach additional documents to support your application using ImmiAccount until your application has been finalised. These should be scanned colour copies.

Please do not provide original documents unless specifically requested to do so by the Department of Home Affairs.


12. Do I need a visa label in my passport to enter Australia?

No. Australia no longer issues visa labels on passports. Australian visa holders can travel to, enter, and stay in Australia without a visa label in their passport.

At the airport, when you check-in to fly to Australia, airline staff will electronically confirm that you have a valid Australian visa before you board the plane. For more information, see Australia's electronic visa record


13. How do I check if I have a valid Australian visa without a visa label in my passport?

After your Australian visa has been granted, you may use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to check the validity of your Australian visa. VEVO is a free service you may use to check your visa status and entitlements online.

You may also download our free myVEVO app which allows you to view and send your current visa details by email via an Android or iOS mobile device.

To login to VEVO you will need your passport number plus one of the following:

  1. Transaction Reference Number (TRN) – We give you a TRN if you applied online.
  2. Visa Grant Number – You can find this on your visa grant notification. 


14. Where do I find my Australian visa grant number?

Your Australian visa grant number is on the visa grant notification we sent you by email or post. If you applied for your visa online using your ImmiAccount then you may find your visa grant number after checking your ImmiAccount.

If you cannot find your Departmental reference number or you no longer have your visa grant notification, complete the Request for Reference Number Form. We will email you the number which you can then use to login to Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to view your visa details.


15. What if I have been issued with a new passport since my Australian visa was granted?

You must notify us if your passport details change because your Australian visa details are linked to your passport. After you have submitted your visa application, depending on the type of change, you may be able to use your ImmiAccount to update your passport details online. You may also complete Form 929 Change of Address and/or Passport Details and send the signed and completed form by email to: [email protected]


16. How do I request for an International Movement Record (IMR)?

Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia may request for International Movement Records (IMR) by sending the documents listed below by email to: [email protected]

  1. Completed Form 1359 Request for International Movement Records
  2. Copy of your passport or other photo ID (e.g. Australian driving licence).
  3. Your preferred email address to which we will send your IMR.

The IMR processing time is approximately 10 working days. However, requests for IMRs prior to 1990 may take longer.


Return to visas and citizenship